
As I was waking this morning I looked up at the wall above our daughter's cradle. On the wall hung a picture of Duff and me surrounded by signatures of people we wanted to share the biggest day of our lives with. We had our friends and family sign the mat board at our wedding nearly five years ago. As I read the names I smiled and thought about all of the people who continue to play a role in our lives. I remember the pastor saying that marriage wasn't just a commitment between the two people but also a commitment of friends and family to support those people and to remind them of who they really are. As I looked longer I read a few names of people who we might never see again. Those friends in passing that were able to be a part of our lives for a short time. I thought, "I wonder how many of these people our daughter will meet? How many of them will be a part of her life too. How many of them will tell her their stories of our wedding day and the commitment that they see in our marriage. " I thought about how many of those people were strong holds for us during the trying times we had attempting to have children and living in a foreign country and living apart for long periods of time. I have so many stories about those people that I would like to share with our little girl. Stories of fun and laughter and friendship and family. It is so special to have this piece of art to remind me of all of those people. The people who shared in the biggest commitment of my life.
5 comments:
I love this pic of you two. Was it taken in Budapest?
I wish I could have been there on your special day, but obviously wasn't in the picture then. This may sound really funny, but am thinking back to being at your place halloween night (first time I ever met you guys) and remember pulling out your wedding album thinking how absolutely happy you two looked. You guys are so great together!
-Billie
How did you know it was from Budapest? You are good. Thanks for the compliments. It always makes my day to see comments from friends. Lets me know people are checking up on us. Good thing the album didn't catch on fire when a certain un-named guest decided to do a dance on the trunk in the livingroom :)
I'm wondering, are you ever going to tell your daughter stories about me?
Haislip,
She'll have to meet her future bodyguard some day soon. Come visit.
it was a pleasure to be part of that day and even more of a pleasure to know that it has continued on to meeting your wonderful daughter...and whatever the future holds.
-lu
Post a Comment