Friday, February 24, 2006

Mardi Gras

Nancy, Me and Angie Last Year Mardi Gras Bunco

Mardi Gras, Carnival, Fasching...
I am not Catholic so this holiday never really meant that much to me until I lived in Europe. Our little town had nearly a week of celebrations every year for the occasion marking the beginning of lent. In my travels I've picked up a few decorations for Mardi Gras. I decided to decorate my buffet in honor of the fun I had with buddies and the crazy German people celebrating the very Catholic holiday. I started to think about lent today. Funny how the German people introduce Boch beer during the season. For those of you who don't know, a few pints of this beer can darn near knock you out. I've had friends that have given up things like swearing, chocolate and even the three lettered word that I won't publish due to the G rating on this blog. I thought to myself "This is sort of a negative resolution. Not negative as in a bad one but in the sense that you give something up instead of adding something to your to-do list. " If I were Catholic what would I give up. What haven't I given up already. I've lived through a year without my husband, months on funky diets without any sugars or tasty foods (not to get skinny just to get rid of a bad system bug I had in college), times where I worked for free (volunteering), given up time with my friends and family. I guess I haven't been homeless, well I did have a stint in college and another in grad school where I basically lived off friends couches. What is it that I think is a vice that I should give up to God in order to prove that I am a faithful person. This year has been a year of giving ups and letting goes. It will continue to be one as I give up my independence to become a mom and give up my husband for another year of duty. I think I'll just try to add an act of faith for lent this year. I will try my best to say a little prayer every day. Not just for me and my family but for those in need and those who may not know they are in need. Just a little offering to a higher power to say "I can't do everything by myself and I know I can't change the world but maybe you could keep some things in mind as we all muddle through it."

2 comments:

Angie said...

From the Catholic to the non-Catholic...you are forgiven!

Love you lots, Miss you more!!! Hang in there kiddo. I'm here for you!

P.S. Was I drunk in that picture? Why can I never keep my eyes open?

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP Online prescription depression drugs zyrtec drugs search the web for www hair remove com forex forcasts hourly faucet